UPDATE: Kansas City Star reporter Christine Vendel reported (7/6) that the blabbermouthkc.com site will be shut down. It now directs you to the Johnson County Sheriffs’ site. It should be noted that Matt Creed might not totally disappear and still does not seem to be able to articulate his plans.
“He’s now considering a member-based “safety-watch” type website,” he told Vendel.
After being roundly criticized and pummeled over his website blabbermouthkc.com, founder Matt Creed has announced he will be taking his site off-line for “3-4 weeks” starting on the Fourth of July.
He says the controversial site will transition to a non-profit organization during that time with a different “stewardship model.”
Creed’s site, which posted names and photos of those who had been arrested in Johnson County, KS, was held up for ridicule when he told Christine Vendel of the Kansas City Star that those who paid him $199.00 could have their names removed. Some said it sounded like extortion or blackmail.
He did a series of media interviews and was roundly criticized, including following a particularly disastrous interview with “Dana and Parks” on KMBZ Friday afternoon.
The site has now posted this announcement:
“As of June 27, 2012, any money contributions received outside of our removal fee will go to victims of families of violent crimes and drunk driving, in addition to grow the NPO responsibility through a financial stewardship model designed by a church leader that I have come to know and respect. After the initial investment is recovered, our money disbursement will be divided as follows: We will give away 40% to charity, invest 20%, and the remaining will go to pay the employees involved with BlabberMouth, including the owner.
Creed also wrote this statement on his site: ”We sincerely apologize for any distress that our business has caused anyone, as our intention was not to threaten or to cause anyone any fear. We request that you please give us the necessary time to make these changes.”